roselerner

Rose Lerner

I love books! I also write them. FYI: I use this space for recs of books I wholeheartedly love only. My recs are honest, but I have social relationships with some of the romance authors whose books I rec.

The Cinderella Deal - Jennifer Crusie I loved the characters in this book SO MUCH. I especially adored Linc with his uptight presentation and subversive scholarship. Seriously, I knew I would love him as soon as I saw the title of his first book--I can't remember it exactly but it was something like "The Nineteenth-Century Sporting Event as Social History." OMG AWESOME. Does this book exist somewhere? Can I read it?

The only reason it's not getting more stars is that I had the same issue with it that I have with a lot of early Crusie--the arc and pacing felt off. A lot of time was devoted to them getting to know each other but then the resolution of the main conflict happened way too fast for me.

However, I'll read pretty much anything Crusie writes and enjoy it tremendously, and this is no exception. Daisy and Linc are adorable and I loved how they had to grow up a little and change to be together, but they had to figure out how to do that while remaining true to who they were. And I loved Daisy's theory of "stories" vs. "lies": a story is always true, and you have to figure out what it means to you that you wanted to tell it.