roselerner

Rose Lerner

I love books! I also write them. FYI: I use this space for recs of books I wholeheartedly love only. My recs are honest, but I have social relationships with some of the romance authors whose books I rec.

Unlocked - Courtney Milan I love stories about girls who have been bullied. (Stories about girls BEING bullied, on the other hand, are often too upsetting for me to read. Yeah, I don't get it either. I guess it's the hope?) I also love stories about girls with weird laughs, because I have one myself. (I can only think of one other story that fit the bill...it was a traditional Regency, I think, and the heroine was named Margaret or similar and also had a streak of white in her hair. Does anyone remember this book?) So this novella was already two for two and then it added mountain climbing! AWESOME. The scene where Elaine talked about wanting to drown rather than be herself broke my heart, and so did Evan's realization that there are some mistakes you can't fix. I also really loved Evan's jealous cousin and Elaine's complicated relationship with her mother. Thumbs up all round.